Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Takeaways from Tuesday primaries: Trump endorsement only goes so far

 

Takeaways from Tuesday primaries: Trump endorsement only goes so far

Several high-profile primary races Tuesday tested how much President Donald Trump's endorsement can do for a scandal-marred candidate, showed the impact of Republicans' mid-decade redistricting and highlighted the continued battle between established Democratic candidates and progressive challengers.

Here are takeaways from Tuesday's primaries: Mills faces a House Ethics Committee investigation; a judge issued a restraining order against him last year after he was accused by his former girlfriend of threatening to distribute sexually explicit videos of her; and in July, ABC News reported that the embattled congressman was also under investigation by the Department of Justice, in part about his finances. Mills has denied the allegations.

Mills' loss suggests that Republicans have limits when it comes to how long they can stand behind a candidate carrying too much baggage. Despite the scandals that have followed him, Mills still retained Trump's endorsement.

Republican Rep. Byron Donalds unsurprisingly secured his party's nomination in the gubernatorial race in Florida. Donalds' campaign has received immense support among Republicans and Trump's endorsement.

Donalds now faces the task of uniting his party after what was a bruising primary. Donalds said he received congratulatory calls from his competitors, Paul Renner and James Fishback. In his victory speech, Donalds called for Florida Republicans to come together.

"But tonight the primary is over. Tonight we put aside our differences. Tonight we are one united Republican Party," Donalds said.

Democratic Congressional candidate Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz speaks with voter Camille Edwards as she campaigns outside of the Kings Point Clubhouse polling station, August 18, 2026, in Tamarac, Florida.
Joe Raedle/Getty Images

Wasserman Schultz promises representation matters

Democratic Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz won her primary in Florida's historically Black 20th Congressional District that was redrawn this year by the Republican-controlled legislature.

Her decision to run in the district drew criticism from her four Black opponents and other Black Democrats who have already been impacted by Republican redistricting efforts in southern states.

In her victory speech, Wasserman Schultz referenced redistricting Republicans hope will improve their chances of retaining the House in November. She promised the redrawn majority-minority district that increasing representation is among her top priorities. 

“This is such a difficult and fraught time in our country. There is so much at stake in this moment, and I want people to know that representation matters. It matters, and I will fight to make sure that representation counts again,” she said Tuesday evening. 

PHOTO: U.S. Congress
Rep. Jared Moskowitz, D-Fla., speaks during a House Judiciary Committee hearing on Capitol Hill on Sept. 17, 2025.
Francis Chung/Politico/AP

Moskowitz fends off challenge from DSA candidate

In the Democratic primary for Florida's 25th District, two-term incumbent Rep. Jared Moskowitz, who was also running in a redrawn district, fended off a challenge from Democratic Socialists of America candidate Oliver Larkin.

The race highlighted how support for Israel is becoming prominent issue in this year's election as more Democrats have become less supportive. Moskowitz has been a staunch supporter of Israel while Larkin has called for the U.S. to cut off aid.

The race was a continuation of established Democratic candidates facing challenges from progressives, as seen in the Senate race in Michigan.

Moskowitz now faces a competitive general election in November, as his seat is one Republicans see as a top pickup opportunity.

Related Topics

Embattled and scandal-ridden Republican Rep. Cory Mills lost his reelection bid in Florida Tuesday, defeated by challenger Ryan Elijah, a former TV news anchor and NFL sideline reporter.

Friday, August 14, 2026

Before Warren Buffett built a nearly $140 billion fortune, he served as a pay specialist in the Army National Guard. The 95-year-old ranks No. 9 on Forbes’ list of America’s Most Successful Living Veterans. See who else made th

 Before Warren Buffett built a nearly $140 billion fortune, he served as a pay specialist in the Army National Guard.

The 95-year-old ranks No. 9 on Forbes’ list of America’s Most Successful Living Veterans. See who else made
Before Warren Buffett built a nearly $140 billion fortune, he served as a pay specialist in the Army National Guard. The 95-year-old ranks No. 9 on Forbes’ list of America’s Most Successful Living Veterans. See who else made the #Forbes250 list:

Urgent Iran will strike America tonight and will start with the state of

 

to ignore. Something is unfolding, and it’s happening fast…

Eyewitnesses describe explosions and unusual aerial activity while defense officials scramble to verify the origin of the strikes. Some analysts suspect a foreign state acting through covert channels; others point to militant groups looking to exploit regional chaos. In a landscape already shaped by proxy conflicts and unresolved feuds, both scenarios are plausible.

The timing is as dangerous as the attacks themselves. The Middle East has spent months slipping deeper into instability. Fragile ceasefires have fractured.

Long-standing rivalries have resurfaced. Political fractures and shifting alliances have created an atmosphere where a single miscalculation can ignite a much larger crisis.

Israel, historically positioned at the crossroads of regional volatility, is once again bracing for the Israel, historically positioned at the crossroads of regional volatility, is once again bracing for the blowback.

Security experts warn that the current climate resembles a powder keg waiting for a spark. Competing powers are testing boundaries, militant groups are seizing opportunities, and diplomatic ties are strained thin. Any strike on Israel—confirmed or not—has implications that ripple far beyond its borders.

If this situation escalates, multiple nations could be pulled in, willingly or otherwise. The stakes are enormous, and the room for error is nearly zero.

Military leaders are reviewing possible response scenarios Military leaders are reviewing possible response scenarios. The challenge lies in distinguishing real threats from misinformation at a time when every rumor spreads at lightning speed. The wrong conclusion could trigger a wider conflict; hesitation could invite more attacks.

What complicates matters even more is the regional landscape. Iran, Lebanon, Syria, and various non-state militias all factor into the equation. Each has its own agenda, alliances, and motivations.

Some operate openly, others move in shadows. Intelligence networks are working overtime to determine whether the reported strikes are isolated incidents or the beginning of a coordinated campaign. Meanwhile, allied nations watch the developing crisis with mounting concern, preparing contingency plans of their own.

Analysts warn that retaliation could escalate Diplomats urge calm. Analysts warn that retaliation could escalate. But Israel still has to answer the question no one else can answer for it: what just happened, and who is responsible?

As uncertainty grows, citizens across the region brace for what could come next. Borders tighten. Air defenses go on alert.

News networks switch to rolling coverage. Tension hangs in the air like static, and the sense that the region stands at a turning point is shared by everyone from military strategists to ordinary families watching from their living rooms.

Whether this moment becomes the beginning of a new conflict or a reminder of the region’s fragile balance depends entirely on the decisions made in the coming hours and days. Israel’s response will set the tone. Regional actors will react accordingly.

International powers will either pressure restraint or take sides. For now, the world watches as Israel confronts a wave of uncertainty, preparing for the possibility that the situation will intensify before it stabilizes

The only thing that’s clear is that the Middle East, once again, stands on the edge of something potentially historic—whether catastrophic or diplomatic remains to be seen.

Thursday, August 13, 2026

Rod Stewart Cancels Tour Dates After Coronary Stent Procedure


 Rod Stewart is pausing his current tour for four weeks following a heart procedure. 

The 81-year-old Rock & Roll Hall of Famer underwent a routine procedure to insert a coronary stent — a small mesh tube designed to keep a narrowed or blocked artery open and restore blood flow, Billboard reported.

The procedure followed the musician's cancellation of two consecutive Ohio concerts. He postponed an Aug. 9 appearance at Cincinnati's Riverbend Music Center because of an "unforeseen but minor medical procedure" and canceled an Aug. 11 show at Cleveland's Rocket Arena after physicians prescribed at least 48 hours of rest.


A representative on Tuesday confirmed that the legendary singer is making progress.

"Following further medical evaluation, Sir Rod Stewart has successfully undergone a routine coronary stent procedure," the statement to Billboard read. 

"Doctors are pleased with his recovery, and Rod is doing very well and has returned to his normal daily activities," the representative continued. "On the advice of his doctors, he will take the next four weeks to recuperate and regain full fitness before returning to the stage. Unfortunately, this means he will be unable to continue his current tour dates." 

Stewart also reassured fans, saying he was "already feeling better."

"I want to thank doctors, nurses, and everyone who has taken such wonderful care of me," he added. "I'm deeply disappointed to miss these shows and sorry to let my fans down, but I look forward to getting back on stage and having a good time with you all again soon."

The four-week recovery period effectively puts Stewart's live performance schedule on hold.

Affected dates on his "One Last Time Tour" include an Aug. 14 stop at the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines and an Aug. 15 performance at Kansas City's Morton Amphitheater.


The pause also affects his scheduled return to his "Encore Shows" residency at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, which had been set to resume Aug. 18. 

Stewart had been scheduled to resume his North American tour Sept. 1 at the Minnesota State Fair in Falcon Heights, Minnesota, followed by September concerts at the Ravinia Festival in Illinois, dates in Mexico, and a two-night engagement at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Morrison, Colorado.

This latest health setback follows another round of cancellations earlier this year, when Stewart called off two consecutive concerts at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace just hours before showtime because of a sinus infection that required vocal rest.

Addressing fans at the time in a statement provided to the Las Vegas Review-Journal, Stewart wrote: "My apologies to my family of fans. I am on vocal rest as I recover from a sinus infection," adding, "I look forward to seeing you at a future show at Caesars Palace or on tour this summer."


Luigi Mangione: Guilty plea expected to be announced Friday in federal case, sources say

 

Luigi Mangione: Guilty plea expected to be announced Friday in federal case, sources say

It's expected that a guilty plea will be announced in connection with the federal prosecution of Luigi Mangione during a conference scheduled for federal court Friday, sources familiar with the matter told ABC News.

The sources caution that plans for the guilty plea are not final at this point and will not be official until announced at the hearing, which is set for 11 a.m. Friday. The situation is fluid and Mangione could conceivably decide against pleading guilty between now and Friday.

Neither the prosecution nor defense teams are commenting on the situation.


Mangione is accused of gunning down UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson on Dec. 4, 2024, in Midtown Manhattan, and he was captured in Pennsylvania after a five-day manhunt. Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg announced that Mangione was indicted on first degree murder charges on Dec. 17, 2024, and federal prosecutors announced separate charges of stalking and murder on Dec. 19, 2024.  

Mangione pleaded not guilty in the separate state and federal cases.

The charges in both cases have narrowed over the last year. U.S. District Judge Margaret Garnett in January threw out the federal murder and firearm charges, which would have made the death penalty an option if convicted. Judge Gregory Carro last September dismissed the first-degree murder and terrorism charges in the state case.

In the state case, Judge Gregory Carro last September dismissed the first-degree murder and terrorism charges. In the state case, Mangione is still charged with murder in the second-degree, criminal possession of a forged instrument in the second-degree, and multiple counts of criminal possession of a weapon in the second-degree, third-degree and fourth-degree.

Mangione is scheduled to stand trial in the state case beginning Sept. 8. His federal trial was set for Jan. 5.

Sunday, August 9, 2026

What makes Trump's ballroom a matter of national security?

 

What makes Trump's ballroom a matter of national security?

Despite a Friday ruling by a federal appeals court blocking constructionof his proposed $400 million ballroom, President Donald Trump remains adamant that the project must be built for the nation's security.

Friday's decision marks yet another roadblock in the administration's efforts to construct the ballroom, which has faced legal challenges since it was proposed in July 2025.

In a post on social media, the president wrote that "the entire Complex is being built for the protection of our Country," before promising to "immediately" appeal the case to the U.S. Supreme Court.

"This decision, made after much of the work has been done and paid for, is a National Security Threat at the highest level. It is also a National Disgrace," the president later added.

The judges rejected the administration's national security argument and said the president does not have the authority to make such major alterations to the White House without congressional approval.

The bold assertion that the Executive can act with utter lawlessness, destroying treasured national landmarks and harming the interests of individuals, and that no court can stop it flouts our constitutional order," Judges Patricia Millett and Bradley Garcia wrote in their opinion.

District Court of Appeals Judge Neomi Rao criticized the ruling in her dissent.

"The government should not be forced to rely on the district court's architectural approval to secure the President's home and office," she wrote.

The district court judge who originally blocked the construction of the ballroom modified his injunction in April to allow work related to security to proceed, while the ballroom-related construction was halted.

As the administration doubles down on the ballroom's necessity, here's a look at what the president has said about its national security features.


The president publicly shared a wide array of features he intends to include in the project's final form in a social media post Friday.

Trump said the 90,000 square foot building would include "Bomb Shelters, State of the Art Hospital and Medical Facilities, Protective Partitioning, Top Secret Military Facilities, Structures and Equipment, Protective Missile Resistant Steel, Columns, Roofs, and Beams, Drone Proof Ceilings and Roofs, Military Grade Venting, and Bullet, Ballistic, and Blast Proof Glass."

The president has also said a drone port will be put on the roof, posting AI-generated images on social media of armed guards, military vehicles and a fleet of drones atop the ballroom.

"It is all tied together as one big, expensive, and very complex unit, which is vital for National Security and Military Operations of the United States of America!" the president wrote.




Saturday, August 8, 2026

Manhunt continues for suspect believed to have killed father, set home ablaze

 

Manhunt continues for suspect believed to have killed father, set home ablaze


A manhunt continued Saturday for a suspect in upstate New York believed to have killed his father and set fire to the home to cover it up, according to law enforcement sources.

The suspect, Thomas Ryan, 32, is known to frequent the Plattsburgh area in Clinton County and is considered armed and dangerous, New York State Police said in a statement Friday. 

On Thursday, investigators responded to a fire at a residence on Greenville Turnpike in Greenville, Orange County. After the fire was extinguished, the body of a deceased man was found inside the residence, state police said. 

A preliminary investigation revealed the fire was deliberately set and state police are investigating the death as a homicide, police said.

The victim has been identified by New York State Police as 70-year-old Robert Ryan, Thomas Ryan's father. Robert Ryan retired to Orange County while the rest of the family lives on Long Island, according to law enforcement sources.

Thomas Ryan did not reside with his father at the time of the incident and has no other known current ties to the Greenville community," New York State Police said Saturday.

"Investigators have determined that Thomas has lived a transient lifestyle, staying at numerous shelters throughout New York State. Investigators have followed up on these locations and continue to immediately and thoroughly investigate all tips and reported sightings," police said.

Investigators are conducting an extensive video canvass expanding outward from the crime scene to reconstruct the suspect’s movements, police said.

Ring video obtained by ABC News appears to show Ryan running from the burning house. 

Extra State Police patrols have been deployed to the town of Greenville and surrounding communities, police said.

Investigators are also looking into Ryan’s mental health history, the sources said. 

Stephanie Coiro, the victim's daughter, told ABC News her father did not deserve to be killed.


"My Dad was a pillar in our family and every community he was a part of. He made you feel welcome, he helped when you needed, and then some. He had more character in his pinky than most in their whole bodies, he did not deserve this," she said.

Ryan is 6 foot 2 inches and approximately 200 pounds. He was last seen in the area of Greenville Turnpike wearing black sweatpants and a black t-shirt, according to police.  

Ryan is believed to be operating a 2016 gray Toyota Prius with a New York license plate, HNH-7671, police said. He is also known to travel by train, and investigators are coordinating with rail transportation partners, police said.

The New York State Police is asking residents of the Greenville community to review any available home surveillance footage recorded from approximately 6 p.m. on Thursday through the overnight hours. Those who observe suspicious activity are urged to contact the New York State Police immediately.

Anyone with information about his whereabouts is asked to not approach him and immediately contact New York State Police Troop F Communications at (845) 344-5300 or call 911. Tips can be emailed to FBCICrimeTips@troopers.ny.gov.

-ABC News' Aaron Katersky contributed to this report.

ANG RORN

FBI seizes former Rep. Swallwell's phone, devices as part of criminal probe, sources say

  The FBI seized former Democratic Rep. Eric Swalwell's electronic devices as part of an ongoing criminal probe, according to sources fa...