Thursday, August 20, 2026

North Korea launches possible ballistic missile as US-South Korea drills ongoing

 

LONDON -- North Korea fired an unidentified projectile in an eastward direction on Thursday, according to a statement released by the South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff and quoted by the country's Yonhap News Agency.

The JCS said it detected the launch but did not provide any further details.

Japan's Defense Ministry said the projectile appeared to be a ballistic missile and that the munition fell outside of Japan's exclusive economic zone.

The latest North Korean missile launch comes as U.S.-South Korean military drills -- Ulchi Freedom Shield -- are ongoing on the peninsula, though the drills are expected to end early on Friday following an order from President Donald Trump to "substantially reduce" the annual exercise.

Trump cited his "very good" relationship with North Korea's Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un when announcing the decision, and on Wednesday said he plans to meet with Kim later this year.

North Korea has criticized the drills as an "open threat" and threatened a strong response against both the U.S. and South Korea.

Pyongyang has maintained a steady rhythm of ballistic missile tests in recent years, despite U.S. and international condemnation. Thursday's launch came around a week after Pyongyang fired a short-range ballistic missile off its east coast on Aug. 12.

-ABC News' Joe Simonetti and Anthony Trotter contributed to this report.

Related Topics

Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Trump announces temporary pause on new Canada tariffs

 President Donald Trump said he is pausing for three days the new 50% tariffs on Canadian goods set to go into effect early Wednesday, citing a deal between the U.S. and Canada.

"I have paused the 50% Tariffs against Canada, that were scheduled to kick in tomorrow morning for a three day period, based on the fact that Canada and the U.S.A., subject to the finalization of documents, have a DEAL," Trump said in a social media post.

The new tariffs, targeting dozens of products from hockey sticks to wine, were set to go into effect at 12:01 a.m. ET on Wednesday.

The U.S. Trade Representative's official account on X responded to Trump's announcement, providing a bit of insight into what a final deal might entail. 

"The deal will include comprehensive market access for all American goods, economic security commitments, digital trade alignment, and many important provisions that will continue to protect our market and American workers, along with our Canadian partners," the USTR posted.

While the president did not offer specifics about the deal, he did suggest that it might include a renewed effort to build the Keystone Pipeline, despite the project being canceled in 2021 after years of criticism about the project's environmental impact.

"Keystone XL Pipeline, long ago killed by Sleepy Joe Biden, may be awoken from the grave!" Trump added in the post.  

Due to exemptions on key goods, the tariffs were expected to hit only a fraction of U.S. imports from Canada.

Still, the list of affected goods features an array of food items such as dairy products, honey, whey protein and molasses; as well as alcoholic beverages like whiskey and vodka.

It all comes weeks after Trump imposed sweeping new tariffs on 60 trade partners, including the European Union. Those levies ramped up an effort to reconstruct far-reaching duties struck down by the Supreme Court earlier this year.

Unlike previous tariffs, the new Canada tariffs would have applied to products compliant with the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement, or USMCA, a free trade agreement. The levies included significant exemptions, however, leaving out some top Canadian imports such as oil, gas and potash.

Trump first announced the tariffs in a series of executive orders last month, saying the move had been made in retaliation for Canadian policies he considers discriminatory against U.S. exports.



"President Trump is offsetting the burden and disadvantage on U.S. commerce from Canada's discriminatory treatment of U.S. commerce and is leveling the playing field for crucial American exports--cars, alcohol, and dairy," the White House said at the time.

In a statement last month, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney criticized a flurry of U.S. tariffs put forward since last year, saying Canada has "merely matched those measures."

"This trade dispute has raised costs for families, particularly in the U.S. Canada stands ready to engage intensively to address outstanding issues with the U.S. to the mutual benefit of our citizens," Carney said.

Trump has carried out on-again, off-again trade negotiations with Canada since he took office, aiming to resolve a dispute that began with tariffs announced by Trump early in his second term.

Trump sought to impose the tariffs under a legal authority enshrined in section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930, which allows the president to enact levies up to 50% for countries found to have discriminated against the U.S. relative to their treatment of other nations.

The provision has never been invoked before, meaning the move lacks judicial precedent, Abigail Watt, an economist at UBS, said in a memo shared with ABC News.


Takeaways from Tuesday primaries: Trump endorsement only goes so far

 

Takeaways from Tuesday primaries: Trump endorsement only goes so far

Several high-profile primary races Tuesday tested how much President Donald Trump's endorsement can do for a scandal-marred candidate, showed the impact of Republicans' mid-decade redistricting and highlighted the continued battle between established Democratic candidates and progressive challengers.

Here are takeaways from Tuesday's primaries: Mills faces a House Ethics Committee investigation; a judge issued a restraining order against him last year after he was accused by his former girlfriend of threatening to distribute sexually explicit videos of her; and in July, ABC News reported that the embattled congressman was also under investigation by the Department of Justice, in part about his finances. Mills has denied the allegations.

Mills' loss suggests that Republicans have limits when it comes to how long they can stand behind a candidate carrying too much baggage. Despite the scandals that have followed him, Mills still retained Trump's endorsement.

Republican Rep. Byron Donalds unsurprisingly secured his party's nomination in the gubernatorial race in Florida. Donalds' campaign has received immense support among Republicans and Trump's endorsement.

Donalds now faces the task of uniting his party after what was a bruising primary. Donalds said he received congratulatory calls from his competitors, Paul Renner and James Fishback. In his victory speech, Donalds called for Florida Republicans to come together.

"But tonight the primary is over. Tonight we put aside our differences. Tonight we are one united Republican Party," Donalds said.

Democratic Congressional candidate Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz speaks with voter Camille Edwards as she campaigns outside of the Kings Point Clubhouse polling station, August 18, 2026, in Tamarac, Florida.
Joe Raedle/Getty Images

Wasserman Schultz promises representation matters

Democratic Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz won her primary in Florida's historically Black 20th Congressional District that was redrawn this year by the Republican-controlled legislature.

Her decision to run in the district drew criticism from her four Black opponents and other Black Democrats who have already been impacted by Republican redistricting efforts in southern states.

In her victory speech, Wasserman Schultz referenced redistricting Republicans hope will improve their chances of retaining the House in November. She promised the redrawn majority-minority district that increasing representation is among her top priorities. 

“This is such a difficult and fraught time in our country. There is so much at stake in this moment, and I want people to know that representation matters. It matters, and I will fight to make sure that representation counts again,” she said Tuesday evening. 

PHOTO: U.S. Congress
Rep. Jared Moskowitz, D-Fla., speaks during a House Judiciary Committee hearing on Capitol Hill on Sept. 17, 2025.
Francis Chung/Politico/AP

Moskowitz fends off challenge from DSA candidate

In the Democratic primary for Florida's 25th District, two-term incumbent Rep. Jared Moskowitz, who was also running in a redrawn district, fended off a challenge from Democratic Socialists of America candidate Oliver Larkin.

The race highlighted how support for Israel is becoming prominent issue in this year's election as more Democrats have become less supportive. Moskowitz has been a staunch supporter of Israel while Larkin has called for the U.S. to cut off aid.

The race was a continuation of established Democratic candidates facing challenges from progressives, as seen in the Senate race in Michigan.

Moskowitz now faces a competitive general election in November, as his seat is one Republicans see as a top pickup opportunity.

Related Topics

Embattled and scandal-ridden Republican Rep. Cory Mills lost his reelection bid in Florida Tuesday, defeated by challenger Ryan Elijah, a former TV news anchor and NFL sideline reporter.

Friday, August 14, 2026

Before Warren Buffett built a nearly $140 billion fortune, he served as a pay specialist in the Army National Guard. The 95-year-old ranks No. 9 on Forbes’ list of America’s Most Successful Living Veterans. See who else made th

 Before Warren Buffett built a nearly $140 billion fortune, he served as a pay specialist in the Army National Guard.

The 95-year-old ranks No. 9 on Forbes’ list of America’s Most Successful Living Veterans. See who else made
Before Warren Buffett built a nearly $140 billion fortune, he served as a pay specialist in the Army National Guard. The 95-year-old ranks No. 9 on Forbes’ list of America’s Most Successful Living Veterans. See who else made the #Forbes250 list:

Urgent Iran will strike America tonight and will start with the state of

 

to ignore. Something is unfolding, and it’s happening fast…

Eyewitnesses describe explosions and unusual aerial activity while defense officials scramble to verify the origin of the strikes. Some analysts suspect a foreign state acting through covert channels; others point to militant groups looking to exploit regional chaos. In a landscape already shaped by proxy conflicts and unresolved feuds, both scenarios are plausible.

The timing is as dangerous as the attacks themselves. The Middle East has spent months slipping deeper into instability. Fragile ceasefires have fractured.

Long-standing rivalries have resurfaced. Political fractures and shifting alliances have created an atmosphere where a single miscalculation can ignite a much larger crisis.

Israel, historically positioned at the crossroads of regional volatility, is once again bracing for the Israel, historically positioned at the crossroads of regional volatility, is once again bracing for the blowback.

Security experts warn that the current climate resembles a powder keg waiting for a spark. Competing powers are testing boundaries, militant groups are seizing opportunities, and diplomatic ties are strained thin. Any strike on Israel—confirmed or not—has implications that ripple far beyond its borders.

If this situation escalates, multiple nations could be pulled in, willingly or otherwise. The stakes are enormous, and the room for error is nearly zero.

Military leaders are reviewing possible response scenarios Military leaders are reviewing possible response scenarios. The challenge lies in distinguishing real threats from misinformation at a time when every rumor spreads at lightning speed. The wrong conclusion could trigger a wider conflict; hesitation could invite more attacks.

What complicates matters even more is the regional landscape. Iran, Lebanon, Syria, and various non-state militias all factor into the equation. Each has its own agenda, alliances, and motivations.

Some operate openly, others move in shadows. Intelligence networks are working overtime to determine whether the reported strikes are isolated incidents or the beginning of a coordinated campaign. Meanwhile, allied nations watch the developing crisis with mounting concern, preparing contingency plans of their own.

Analysts warn that retaliation could escalate Diplomats urge calm. Analysts warn that retaliation could escalate. But Israel still has to answer the question no one else can answer for it: what just happened, and who is responsible?

As uncertainty grows, citizens across the region brace for what could come next. Borders tighten. Air defenses go on alert.

News networks switch to rolling coverage. Tension hangs in the air like static, and the sense that the region stands at a turning point is shared by everyone from military strategists to ordinary families watching from their living rooms.

Whether this moment becomes the beginning of a new conflict or a reminder of the region’s fragile balance depends entirely on the decisions made in the coming hours and days. Israel’s response will set the tone. Regional actors will react accordingly.

International powers will either pressure restraint or take sides. For now, the world watches as Israel confronts a wave of uncertainty, preparing for the possibility that the situation will intensify before it stabilizes

The only thing that’s clear is that the Middle East, once again, stands on the edge of something potentially historic—whether catastrophic or diplomatic remains to be seen.

Thursday, August 13, 2026

Rod Stewart Cancels Tour Dates After Coronary Stent Procedure


 Rod Stewart is pausing his current tour for four weeks following a heart procedure. 

The 81-year-old Rock & Roll Hall of Famer underwent a routine procedure to insert a coronary stent — a small mesh tube designed to keep a narrowed or blocked artery open and restore blood flow, Billboard reported.

The procedure followed the musician's cancellation of two consecutive Ohio concerts. He postponed an Aug. 9 appearance at Cincinnati's Riverbend Music Center because of an "unforeseen but minor medical procedure" and canceled an Aug. 11 show at Cleveland's Rocket Arena after physicians prescribed at least 48 hours of rest.


A representative on Tuesday confirmed that the legendary singer is making progress.

"Following further medical evaluation, Sir Rod Stewart has successfully undergone a routine coronary stent procedure," the statement to Billboard read. 

"Doctors are pleased with his recovery, and Rod is doing very well and has returned to his normal daily activities," the representative continued. "On the advice of his doctors, he will take the next four weeks to recuperate and regain full fitness before returning to the stage. Unfortunately, this means he will be unable to continue his current tour dates." 

Stewart also reassured fans, saying he was "already feeling better."

"I want to thank doctors, nurses, and everyone who has taken such wonderful care of me," he added. "I'm deeply disappointed to miss these shows and sorry to let my fans down, but I look forward to getting back on stage and having a good time with you all again soon."

The four-week recovery period effectively puts Stewart's live performance schedule on hold.

Affected dates on his "One Last Time Tour" include an Aug. 14 stop at the Iowa State Fair in Des Moines and an Aug. 15 performance at Kansas City's Morton Amphitheater.


The pause also affects his scheduled return to his "Encore Shows" residency at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, which had been set to resume Aug. 18. 

Stewart had been scheduled to resume his North American tour Sept. 1 at the Minnesota State Fair in Falcon Heights, Minnesota, followed by September concerts at the Ravinia Festival in Illinois, dates in Mexico, and a two-night engagement at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Morrison, Colorado.

This latest health setback follows another round of cancellations earlier this year, when Stewart called off two consecutive concerts at the Colosseum at Caesars Palace just hours before showtime because of a sinus infection that required vocal rest.

Addressing fans at the time in a statement provided to the Las Vegas Review-Journal, Stewart wrote: "My apologies to my family of fans. I am on vocal rest as I recover from a sinus infection," adding, "I look forward to seeing you at a future show at Caesars Palace or on tour this summer."


Luigi Mangione: Guilty plea expected to be announced Friday in federal case, sources say

 

Luigi Mangione: Guilty plea expected to be announced Friday in federal case, sources say

It's expected that a guilty plea will be announced in connection with the federal prosecution of Luigi Mangione during a conference scheduled for federal court Friday, sources familiar with the matter told ABC News.

The sources caution that plans for the guilty plea are not final at this point and will not be official until announced at the hearing, which is set for 11 a.m. Friday. The situation is fluid and Mangione could conceivably decide against pleading guilty between now and Friday.

Neither the prosecution nor defense teams are commenting on the situation.


Mangione is accused of gunning down UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson on Dec. 4, 2024, in Midtown Manhattan, and he was captured in Pennsylvania after a five-day manhunt. Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg announced that Mangione was indicted on first degree murder charges on Dec. 17, 2024, and federal prosecutors announced separate charges of stalking and murder on Dec. 19, 2024.  

Mangione pleaded not guilty in the separate state and federal cases.

The charges in both cases have narrowed over the last year. U.S. District Judge Margaret Garnett in January threw out the federal murder and firearm charges, which would have made the death penalty an option if convicted. Judge Gregory Carro last September dismissed the first-degree murder and terrorism charges in the state case.

In the state case, Judge Gregory Carro last September dismissed the first-degree murder and terrorism charges. In the state case, Mangione is still charged with murder in the second-degree, criminal possession of a forged instrument in the second-degree, and multiple counts of criminal possession of a weapon in the second-degree, third-degree and fourth-degree.

Mangione is scheduled to stand trial in the state case beginning Sept. 8. His federal trial was set for Jan. 5.

ANG RORN

North Korea launches possible ballistic missile as US-South Korea drills ongoing

  LONDON -- North Korea fired an unidentified projectile in an eastward direction on Thursday, according to a statement released by the Sout...